Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Miracles Never Cease - pt 1

Summer seems like a whirl, now that it’s over.  Donavon's Birthday was July 2nd.  On a completely different tangent, he had prayed for a long time for a new bike.  That was all he wanted for his birthday!  We could not afford more than a few coloring books or hotwheel cars so we were also praying that God would provide a bike.  God heard our prayers and so did some amazing people.  They went to Walmart.com and ordered a bike to be sent to the stor my husband, Joe, works at! 
However, July was also the start of some difficulty.  We had an issue getting to Indianapolis.  With a family of five, money is not something we have readily available.  After much prayer, God came through with enough to make it to our pre-surgery check-up.  This was a miracle unto itself because we thought we would have to cancel our trip due to lack of finances.   
The 30 day check-up was to make sure that Donavon had not gotten worse.  At this check-up, everything looked relatively good.  He had been utilizing the techniques that they taught him to urinate which were helping to stabilize his bladder and kidney function. 
They gave me a couple papers with listed phone numbers and the date of our surgery.  It also had instructions of what was going to happen.  Donavon’s surgery was scheduled for Monday, August 15th.  However, it is their procedure to schedule the youngest child first.  Since they didn’t know who was youngest until the week before his surgery, we would not be informed of his surgery time until Friday before his surgery.  For me, as a ‘planner’ this was difficult to sit and wait to find out how to plan our trip.  Aside from the fact that my son was going to have major surgery, I didn’t know how I was going to pay for the expense of driving down, paying for food and possibly lodging, and parking.  On top of that, I was concerned about what was going to happen at home with my husband and 4 year old twins.
The week before surgery came and we were still stressing about the money.  However, God was working some things out in the background.  The church I practically grew up in, where my parents still attend was involved.  One of the financial directors was in touch with my mother and had called me and talked to me about the situation.  On Thursday, he called to tell me that there was an envelope for me which enclosed $50 in gas vouchers and $100 in Visa gift cards which could be used anywhere.  This would cover my drive there and my food for the week! 
Now that God had covered the trip to Riley, it was coming down to the scheduling of the surgery.  They called around 11am Friday.  Donavon was originally scheduled early.  After talking to his nurse, they were willing to push his time back to later in the day!  Donavon was scheduled at 5pm and we would have to be there about 3:45pm to check in.  This was exactly what we had prayed for because I did not want to have to drive at 5am to get to Riley Children’s Hospital by 7am. 
The day of surgery was here.  We were all anxious, even though we tried to stay calm.  Joe had the whole week off to take care of the twins while I was gone, and to help me when I got back.  That morning, we had a small breakfast, since Donavon couldn’t eat anything, and sat together on the sofa, cuddling and being close.  It was a nice time.  I didn’t want it to end.  We gave our hugs and said our goodbyes.  The van was loaded the night before so all we had to do was load up the last few things and get going.  It was hard to say good bye with so many insecurities, but trusting God to see us through, we went.

 
Photo 1 (top): Donavon, riding his new bike for the first time! It was hard to get him to sit still long enough to take pictures.
Photo 2 (middle):
My Husband, Joe giving hugs to Donavon before we left for Riley Children's Hospital, August 15th, 2011. Maya, squeezing in to be included in the hug!
Photo 3 (right):
Nathan, Donavon, and Maya. The twins love their brother and didn't want to say "good-bye". (Nathan and Maya turned 4 on July 17th. Donavon turned 9 on July 2nd.)

No comments:

Post a Comment